Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Back to Work

Tomorrow is the big day: back to work after 18 days off for winter break. It was wonderful having such a long break and spending so much time with Dan, going on our cruise, saying goodbye to a couple of friends, having Dan's mom stay with us, enjoying Christmas and New Year's, and eating WAY too much food... but I guess all good things must come to an end.

I do love my job, really. I love the fact that I have one, that I'm getting paid, that I have somewhere to go every day that makes me feel welcome. But 6:00 in the morning comes way too early, and 11-12 year olds are just SO loud and immature. I survived the first semester, though, so I know I will make it through until the end of May and continue making a difference in these kids' lives like I have always wanted to. 

When I first took the job working in this school district, I was ecstatic. All through college, all I wanted to do was teach in a school that NEEDED me. Well, I found one that needs a lot, and although I know I am reaching so many kids, I can't help but wonder if I am in the right place. Are they REALLY learning from me? Am I effective? Do they see me as someone they are comfortable talking to? I hope the answer to those questions is a big YES, but time will tell. I am doing my best, and even though it is stressful and time consuming, I am thankful to be there and hope the kids are as well. 

After posting our engagement pictures on Facebook yesterday, it seems like there is a clear favorite. So many people liked and commented on this photograph, and I agree. It is definitely one of my favorites from the entire set. 


On that note, I am going to get my things together for work tomorrow. I know I'm going to be disoriented in the morning since my routine was disrupted for nearly three weeks, so I need to make sure everything is ready to walk out the door with tonight.

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment