Wednesday, January 4, 2012

First Day Back

My alarm clock went off at 6:00 this morning, and let me tell you how fast that came after having over two weeks off from work. Wow. This morning was not pretty, but I allowed myself an extra 10 minutes for my morning routine because I KNEW I would be out of it. Luckily, I made it out the door right on time and got to school much sooner than I needed to. I am so glad I did because I forgot what a disaster I left my classroom in. I was so excited to get out of there that last day before break that I left water bottles everywhere, papers all over my desk, and even a box of cookies out. Oops. The custodians did not even clean my floor or empty my trash over break, so I had a lot to do before the kiddos got there at 8:20.

The kids were not as crazy as I anticipated, so that was a good thing. I did have a student almost choke to death in my 7th hour class, though, and we had six adults in the room trying to help him while I tried to quickly usher the rest of my class out of the room and quietly to the library for a few minutes until the situation was under control. Talk about a hectic first day back.

In better news, I finally received a letter back from one of the American Heroes my students wrote to on Veteran's Day in November. I opened it after school, and it is addressed to one of my girls who will be delighted to hear back from the man. He said that he has been in the Air National Guard for 17 years, has two kids and one grandchild, loves the Dallas Cowboys, and is excited to keep writing back and forth with my student from Kuwait, where he is currently deployed. He also sent her letter back to her, telling her that her mom would probably want to have it. How sweet! She will be so excited when I give it to her tomorrow and she gets to share it with the class. They keep asking EVERY DAY about when the troops will write them back. I never know what to say, so I am glad one finally did.

As I said before, most people probably will not enjoy reading about my life as a teacher. I will try my best to switch things up, but in the end, I am writing for myself and for my goal.

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment