Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review: Divergent

Last week, I finished reading my first novel of 2012. My goal is to read 24 books this year, so I'm off to a good start. The book is called Divergent, and it is by Veronica Roth. It is HIGHLY recommended.

If you've read or heard good things about The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, then Divergent is right up your alley. It is set in a dystopian future USA, where Beatrice (who goes by Tris) has to decide what to do with her life, like all other 16 year olds in the factions that people live in. There are five different factions, and each one is known for something different. Tris was raised in the Abnegation faction, known for being selfless. When it comes time to choose for herself, she doesn't see Abnegation as where she wants to stay, but what will she choose? How will that affect her family? Her brother? Her parents? After her aptitude test, Tris has one day to decide the rest of her life.


I don't want to give away any more details, but the book was an amazing read. It is definitely a Young Adult (YA) novel, but so is The Hunger Games, and all kinds of people like that.

Here is the link to Divergent on Goodreads (which I also highly recommend -- I love that website for tracking what I read and seeing what my friends are currently reading, too.)

Divergent on Goodreads

If you're a reader, set up an account, and add me as a friend. I always like to see what people are reading, and it's a great way to find new books to read.

I just started reading Room by Emma Donoghue, so I will post a review of that one as soon as I finish.

Janelle

4 comments:

  1. Ive been eyeing this up the last few times I was at the book store but was undecided if I would enjoy it, I think I might have to give it a try. Have you read the Shiver trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater? Im currently almost finished the second book and they are so good, I'd highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should! :) If you do, let me know what you think.

    No, I have not. I haven't even heard of it. I will look into it now -- thanks for the suggestion! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you posted this! I met Veronica's agent at the Pikes Peak Writers Con last year. It was about 1 week before the book came out and she insisted I read it haha. I'm SO glad I did!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! That is really awesome. Yes, it was GREAT. I can't wait for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete