Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Book Review: The Lucky One

Last night, I finished reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. It was by far the best Sparks book I have read since A Walk to Remember in high school (and I have read quite a few).


I really enjoyed the story of Logan Thibault, a former US Marine, who believes that a photograph of a woman he has never met kept him safe (and alive) while fighting in Iraq. He saw many of his comrades get killed in action, and his best friend Victor declared that the photograph that Thibault (what he goes by in the novel) found is his lucky charm. Thibault doesn't believe it until after he and Victor return home from Iraq and another unfortunate event takes place after Victor convinces Thibault that it must be his destiny to find the woman in the photograph to "pay her back" for saving him at war.

Thibault researches where the photograph could have been taken, and then he sets out on a walk from Colorado (where he is from) all the way to Hampton, North Carolina, where he believes the photograph of the woman was taken. He searches the town and eventually finds her, and the rest is history. I want to give more details, but I hate when people ruin books for me, so I won't do that. I will just urge you to read the novel.

There is a movie version coming out on April 20th, 2012, and I can't wait to see it. This is one that I will definitely be dragging Dan to see with me, and I hope it turns out far better than the last Sparks novel-turned-movie I saw did (Dear John: the book was mediocre; the movie sucked). If you read it or have already read it, let me know what you think. I'm eager to talk about it.

Tonight, I bought Triumph: Life After the Cult -- A Survivor's Lesson by Carolyn Jessop. I have an odd fascination with Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints (Mormons) for some reason (I blame it on Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven that Dan sent me to read after he finished it about two years ago). I can't wait to get started reading, and I'll write a review once I'm finished. This makes four books read so far in 2012, and I am on my way to achieving my goal of 24 during the year.

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment