Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Great News for Military Spouses

Today, the First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, and the Second Lady, Dr. Jill Biden, announced that they will be rallying for careers that require individual licenses to do (teaching, nursing, etc.) to make their licenses / certifications universal, meaning that they carry over from state to state! Do you know what this means?! It's huge for all working military spouses everywhere. To transfer a license for teaching (unless the state already carries over, which is few and far between), one must usually take another test, pay a lot of money, and wait. And wait. And wait. It took me six full months to receive my Colorado certification after moving from Missouri, even though I had ALL of the paperwork they needed right away.

With frequent moves in my future, I was so ecstatic to see this today. I had thought that I wouldn't be able to teach in the future, especially while Dan is in pilot training and we move three or four times in just two years. However, with this, I will be able to apply to at least substitute teach while he is busy flying. That way, we will have an extra income, and I won't be bored out of my mind while he's working. I was just NOT meant to be a housewife by ANY stretch of the definition. Can you tell that I'm one happy lady? :)

To read the full article, click here.

I'll write more tomorrow!

Janelle

No comments:

Post a Comment