Monday, February 27, 2012

Runner's High

Lately, I have bee sick. A lot. I'm sure most of you know that because I have blogged about it constantly in a whining manner. I hate being sick. It made me exhausted, and since I could barely even breathe while simply sitting still, I knew I couldn't work out. I didn't realize how much I missed running until today. After reading my friend Michelle's blog posts about running, it made me eager to get back into it, but still, I had NO IDEA how much I truly missed it.

I am finally feeling better, so I decided to go for my first run in a couple of months. It felt NICE. I ran two and a half miles when I got home from work, but I had to stay on the treadmill because it was a tad too chilly for me outside this evening. I'm hoping to head outside for the majority of my runs very soon. I can't even begin to explain how GOOD I felt while running and afterward. My muscles are a bit sore now, but it's that good *I-worked-hard-and-I-know-it* feeling.

I've decided that I want to register for a 5K so that I will make myself keep doing this daily. Running right after work sure does relieve my stress, and I could use all the stress relief I can find right now. I found the perfect 5K to run. It is on Sunday, March 25th, and it's in Denver, an hour away. Dan and I are going to run it together that morning, and then that evening, my mom and grandma come into town! There is another one the following Saturday at the Air Force Academy, so I am hoping to be able to run both. The 5K I plan on running in Denver is the Stop TB Trot, and you can find information HERE.

The "high" that I always feel after a good work-out is what keeps me going. I'm sure everyone reading has experienced that at some point, but if not, please go work out so you can experience the feeling. I know it's easy to get distracted or not be able to make enough time in your day to work-out, but it helps in so many ways. Running boosts my confidence like nothing else can. It makes me feel GOOD about myself, always. It makes me think about healthy things I can do in my life, such as running races or wanting to go even further (such as eventually participating in a triathlon, but I have a long way to go before that's possible!). It makes me make conscious decisions about what to put in my body, and I ALWAYS eat healthier when I'm in a routine of working out regularly. Running isn't just good for the body; it's good for the mind.

I'll write more tomorrow,

Janelle

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you posted about how great it feels to run. I have been struggling lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that way ALL the time, so I have to celebrate when it feels GOOD! :)

    ReplyDelete