Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mizzou wins thrilling Border War 74-71

Yes, that's right! Things like this just never happen. Now, I'm not saying that I'm proud that MU only wins once in a great while... but it was SUPER sweet being able to watch it on TV as it happened. I was jealous of everyone who was at Mizzou Arena in Columbia, but watching from Colorado and getting SO excited during the last few seconds of the game was nearly as exciting! I jumped up and down and screamed like a fool, and now Dan thinks I'm a complete weirdo, and my downstairs neighbors probably hate me even more than usual. Oops. Worth it.

Here's a link to an article from the Kansas City Star, and the text follows it.

Mizzou wins thrilling Border War 74-71

KU's Tyshawn Taylor barreled into MU's Kim English and was called charging foul in the first half.
KU's Tyshawn Taylor barreled into MU's Kim English and was called charging foul in the first half.
Missouri landed big blows on Kansas toward the end of the half and at the end of the game in winning the Border War 74-71 on Saturday night at Mizzou Arena. The Tigers scored the final 11 points of the game after KU took a 71-63 lead with 3 minutes, 24 seconds left.
In addition to shutting down the Jayhawks late, the Tigers also erased a late first-half deficit as well. The No. 4 Tigers were down 32-28 and scored 10 straight, the final was a sequence of a Marcus Denmon steal of Conner Teahan pass, and layup. No. 8 Kansas stopped the run with a Tyshawn Taylor drive, and Taylor and Denmon were the first-half stars.
• Denmon addressed his shooting slump immediately with a deep three-pointer from the top of the key with the shot clock running down on the Tigers’ first possession. He added another one later in the half. The former Hogan Prep star had 16 points.
• Taylor came out on fire, knocking down a three-pointer on the Jayhawks’ first possession. He added another three and had eight points before the first media timeout. He had 17 points.
• The matchup mystery revealed itself when Missouri’s 6-foot-6 Kim English guarded Kansas’ 7-footer Jeff Withey. Missouri’s zone defense made it a moot point.
• The Jayhawks spent much of the first half in foul trouble. Jeff Withey picked up his second with 9:39 remaining. Justin Wesley, the reserve front-liner, got his second a few moments later. Travis Releford also had two. For a stretch late in the half, the Jayhawks played small with Thomas Robinson, Withey and Wesley on the bench.
• Ricardo Ratliffe had two fouls for the Tigers.
• First-half stats: Rebounding favored Missouri 15-14. Kansas shot four for 11 on threes, the Tigers four for 10. Kansas had eight turnovers, Missouri seven. The Jayhawks were whistled for 10 fouls, Missouri four.
• Your television screen wasn’t cloudy in the game’s early moments. Missouri launched some fireworks from its scoreboard as part of its pregame introductions. The smoke hung in the building for the game’s first few minutes.

Okay, well I've had enough excitement for tonight. Farewell, Blogworld. Happy Superbowl Sunday tomorrow to all! 

Read more here:

No comments:

Post a Comment