Sunday, September 23, 2012

Book Review: God Strong

Before Dan left for his trip to China in May/June, I heard about a book for military wives called God Strong. This is not the normal type of book for me, as I am NOT a military wife (yet), nor do I usually read religious books for fun. However, it seemed fitting because the reviews said the book was great for military wives whose husbands were gone, so I decided to give it a try.


Sara Horn, a Navy Reservist wife (and journalist), wrote God Strong, and while much of it did not apply to me, it was still a great read, and I have a feeling I'll be referring back to it in the future. Dan was in China, not in a war zone, so some of the comparisons I tried to make were a bit rough, but it was great reading about another woman's experience when her significant other was away. Sure, we have been long distance before, but the 11 hour time difference was a first. The most we'd be to date was two hours, and that was for a less-than-a-week trip. Other than that, our long distance relationship meant Colorado to Missouri, which is only a one hour time difference. This was HUGE for me to adjust to, and it was for an entire month.

In addition to Horn's personal experiences with her husbands deployments and TDYs (temporary duties away from home), she shares encouragement from the Bible to help get through those times. As I said, I'm NOT normally a big religious reader, but God Strong did actually help me feel a bit better when I went a few days in between talking to Dan. It was a good resource, and I'll keep it on my shelves for the future, but if you're not in a military relationship, this book is not for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment