Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering...

Today is September 11th, 2012. What does that mean to you? To me, it means that 11 years ago, the great country that I live in was attacked. It means that thousands of people died. It means that thousands of service-members have been called to duty since then. It means sadness, heartache, and loss. But it also means strength, courage, and moving forward... as a nation.

As I reflect on 9/11/2001, I remember that I was sitting in 8th grade social studies/history class at Raytown South Middle School. My teacher answered a knock on the classroom door, and when he came back inside the classroom, he had tears streaming down his face. We didn't know why. He briefly explained what he knew, and then we sat in silence as we watched the destruction of part of our country on the small classroom television.

It still makes me sick to my stomach thinking about that day. I feel awful thinking about all of the families who lost loved ones that day. I feel gratitude for those men and women who are risking their lives day in and day out to make our country braver and freer. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment