Saturday, May 26, 2012

Book Review: We Need To Talk About Kevin

Okay, so I know it's been a while since I've reviewed a book on here. Don't let that fool you into thinking I haven't been reading, though. I have. In fact, I've read three books since finishing the one I'm about to write about. That said, I've been struggling with the thought of writing about this one because it was so awful. Yes, it really was that bad. I persevered anyway, though, because I hate reading only part of a book.


We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver sounds like a wonderful book. The reviews led me to believe that it was about a boy in high school who went on a rampage and killed his peers and a teacher. That sounds interesting, right? I thought so too. However, the ENTIRE novel was a series of letters from Kevin's mother to her ex-husband, and never once did it get interesting. I was bored out of my mind for the entire 400some pages. I would not recommend this book to anyone that I know. That says a lot for someone like me. I apologize if anyone reading this just absolutely loved the book, but I really don't understand why.

It took me so long to get through this book that I was behind by two books for my reading goal for the year, which is to read 24 books by December 31st. Since finishing this disaster, I have read three other books at a rapid pace to make up for that, and I am now ahead. Expect much better, more detailed reviews of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, Two Kisses For Maddy by Matthew Logelin and A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard in the near future. I enjoyed all three of those for different reasons, so I will have more to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment