Sunday, May 27, 2012

For Memorial Day


As everyone who reads this knows, I am in a relationship with the United States military, the Air Force to be exact. No, I am not serving our great nation, and I make no claims to be doing so. However, my handsome fiancĂ©, the one I love more than anything in the world, is serving. While he may simply be a cadet at the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs for the time being, he will be in the military for years to come. He hopes to make a career in the Air Force. He joined the Army National Guard before graduating from high school and switched to the Air Force during civilian college in Missouri. He lucked out getting a spot at one of the most prestigious schools in the country, but it comes with a price. He sometimes has to miss important events because of military commitments (such as birthdays, graduations, and holidays with family), but he does so because he serves our nation, the best one in the world: the United States of America. If he receives a pilot slot, he will then commit a minimum of TEN YEARS of his life to the US Air Force upon graduating from the Academy. Did that scare the hell out of me at first? You bet it did! But now that I am accustomed to the military lifestyle, one that often leaves spouses (or spouses-to-be, like I am now) behind, forgotten, alone… I see past the sadness and recognize that what he is doing not only for himself and for our future together but for his NATION, full of people who complain about everything and take things for granted is well worth it. People like him, everyone who serves, help keep us free. What kind of person makes so many personal sacrifices? I can answer that one; it’s easy: someone who cares about others more than himself… someone who gives all he can for people he doesn’t even know… someone who will make the PERFECT husband, despite all of his military duties and commitments.

Now, I realize that Memorial Day serves as a day to REMEMBER people… people who have given the ULTIMATE sacrifice for their nation… people who have DIED for others in battle trying to make this nation a better place to live. However, I am extremely fortunate to not know a SINGLE PERSON who has passed away due to war. Where I’m from, not many people are in the military. I grew up thinking nothing of it, not understanding what it was all about, and promising myself that I would NEVER, under any circumstances, date someone in the military. And then I met Dan, and that all fell to the wayside. Despite what I know about what our future may hold, all of the ups and all of the downs, and despite everything that could possibly happen, I wouldn’t trade this kind of love for anything.

Although I do not know anyone personally who has been affected by the horrors of war, I do know that it happens on a daily basis. Death is not something that should be taken lightly, especially the deaths of many brave young (and older) men and women who are fighting for the country they love, the people they want to stand up for. This Memorial Day, please remember the victims of war: the warriors in the United States Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard. Don’t forget about their families, either, because they are the ones left behind to make sense of everything. Keep them all in your prayers as you go to bed knowing that you are safe. And that reminds me of one of the greatest quotes, penned by a fantastic author, George Orwell:
“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” -George Orwell
On that note, I feel the need to share pictures of my military man, the man I couldn’t be more excited to marry, the one who I am so incredibly proud of for always sticking up for what is right… 
















"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him but because he loves what is behind him" -G.K. Chesterton


No comments:

Post a Comment