Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 17 of 30

It's time for another day in the blog challenge. I'm ready to get this thing over with. Yes, I enjoy having prompts handed to me to write about, but I just feel like this one is never ending. Since I'm not doing it every single day, it is dragging out forever. Today is only Day 17. What the heck? Oh well; here goes. As always, if you want to find out more about the challenge, click here.

Today's Challenge: 17. What is the thing you most wish you were great at?

This one is simple. If I could be great at anything, it would be writing. Yes, I enjoy writing, and yes, I know I'm okay at it. I know I'm not the best, but since I am so passionate about it and since it's something that I do every single day, I wish I were GREAT, not just okay or even good.

I've been writing for as long as I can remember. It's always been something that is fun to me. Even in school, I enjoyed writing essays because it was such an easy way for me to communicate my thoughts. If I can't get something out in words, I can ALWAYS get it out in writing. Just ask Dan.

Other than writing in school, I have been writing stories since I was very young. I have seen some old ones, and they don't make much sense. The plots are awful, and the characters are not developed, but they're cute, and they show my passion. In middle school, I began writing collaboratively with friends online. Those stories are embarrassing, as they are fan fiction, but again, I am proud to have written them.

In college, I wrote multiple papers a week, and while that kind of work stressed most of my friends out, I thrived on it. I love the feeling of receiving an assignment with a deadline, knowing that I will put my best effort into it. Remembering that it is graded and read by others means even more.

After college, I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month -- CLICK HERE to see what it's all about), in which I wrote an entire novel (over 50,000 words) in just one month. It isn't pretty, and it needs editing, but I have never felt better about something I have done. I was SO proud of myself when I hit the 50,000 word mark. I celebrated alone in my apartment and then shared the news with the world. While I would love to pursue publishing it, I know it's not my best work. I know there is something better inside my head just waiting to be written down.

Writing is not something I will ever give up. It's not my career, and it doesn't have much to do with my life in general, but it relives stress, it makes me happy, and it just feels RIGHT (no pun intended). Through the year of 2012, I have committed to blogging (or writing) every single day. So far, I have held up to that resolution, and it has allowed me to share my thoughts more easily with people who want to be a part of my life. I am thankful for writing in many ways, and it is the one thing I wish I could be GREAT at, not just mediocre.


No comments:

Post a Comment