Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Craziness

What a crazy day it has been! Last night, I was feeling pretty tired, so I made it to bed before 10:00. At 11:45, I bolted straight up in bed when I heard the smoke detector going off. I turned it off and went back to sleep (remember: I was TIRED!). Five minutes later, it went off again. This time, I actually looked at it and saw that the Carbon Monoxide part was lighting up, which told me to get to fresh air. I freaked out and ran outside to my balcony in shorts and a t-shirt (it was fairly chilly). I called Dan, and he convinced me that someone needed to come check the levels to make sure my apartment was okay. He told me it was probably just the battery since only one was going off and not both, but four firefighters came to check it out nonetheless.

They scanned the area with their carbon monoxide detectors, and nothing turned up. They left, and then my alarm went off again. And again. And again... every five minutes. I was SO upset, exhausted, and scared. Since the alarm is wired into the ceiling, I couldn't just take the battery out and go to bed. When all was said and done, I had turned off the circuit that powered the stupid thing and went to bed. But again, I was nervous. What if there WAS carbon monoxide? I couldn't sleep, and I set an alarm clock for every hour so I would wake up and know I was still alive. (Do I freak out much? Yes... yes, I do.)

Overall, I got about three hours of sleep last night, and anyone who knows me knows that today was NOT a good day to get in Janelle's way. I need eight to ten hours of sleep per night just to function; I always have and probably always will. I love sleep, and when I miss it, it's not pretty. I stopped for Starbucks this morning, and that helped for a while, but eventually, I grew SO tired. Luckily, I have a reading program that includes audiobooks, so I just played that all day for my students... which is probably not very productive, but I don't think I could have been any more productive under the circumstances.

Track practice woke me up a bit, and I am very excited for our big City Meet on Monday! I can't believe the season is already almost over. Then, since it's Wednesday, Dan managed to make time for a dinner meet up, and we met at Arceo's Mexican restaurant. Yum yum! And meeting him for dinner is always a plus. Now, I am home, I am exhausted, and I am going to bed!

Good night, all!


No comments:

Post a Comment