Saturday, June 2, 2012

Top Ten Things I Learned

Since school is out, I decided that I should probably make a list. This list will include the top ten things I learned while teaching sixth grade. As most of you know, I did not go to school to teach sixth grade. In fact, I didn't get my degree so that I could teach middle school at all. I am only certified in Missouri to teach high school (grades 9-12), but in Colorado, I am also certified to teach middle school, and that is where all the jobs seem to be. It's not that I don't LIKE middle schoolers; on the contrary, I have found that they are highly amusing and entertaining. But I did not know ANYTHING about them, especially sixth graders. When I heard sixth grade, I just thought middle school. No big deal. But it's a whole different world. They might as well still be in elementary school. And now for the list:

The Top Ten Things I Learned About Sixth Graders in One School Year:

1. Don't assume they are mature. At all. They aren't, and they will prove that from day one.

2. They really, really like touching. They touch each other constantly, and they always ask for (and sometimes don't ask for and just do) hugs. Some of them demanded a hug every single day.

3. Never assume a kid is saying he has a bloody nose just to get out of the classroom, even if he is that type of student. He will show you the blood on the tissue and allow more of it to drip onto your floor.

4. Yelling never works. They just get louder to talk over you.

5. Despite what you think sometimes, there are some kids who truly do want to learn... desperately.

6. Some parents are crazy, loud, and mean... but there are other parents who are equally as sweet, amazing, caring, and wonderful. Don't let the bad ones get the best of you.

7. Don't take work home with you. There are days when it seems like it NEEDS to be done, but make time for a social life. If you make sixth graders your whole life, you will start resenting them.

8. Be prepared to giggle at jokes that aren't funny to people your own age. You'll learn to say: "Hey, I teach sixth grade. I'm around this all day."

9. Anything and everything you say can and will be turned into a "that's what she said" joke. Sometimes, they will make sense, and you'll have to stifle your laughter. Other times, you'll wonder if you're missing something or if they have no idea what they're talking about.

10. Keep working out. Don't let the lack of time get the best of you. When you work out, you feel better the next day and are more relaxed an forgiving with the kids. When you don't, all the built up energy makes you mean.

Okay, well, there's my list for the year. It varies greatly from what I would have said a year ago after working with seventh and eighth graders all year, but the environment was different, the students were different, and the overall climate was just... different. Next year, I will be teaching eighth grade, and I am sure it will be a new experience yet again. I'm excited to have the summer to relax, but I am ALREADY working on projects for my classroom for next year. I almost completed an entire one today, and I will share it soon. (I have taken tons of pictures of it).


No comments:

Post a Comment