Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blast From the Past: Long Distance Relationship

Once upon a time, Dan and I were in a long distance relationship. Sure, we go through spurts of it all the time, but we were in one for a solid year between 2009 and 2010. It was not the most fun part of our relationship, but I will say that the excitement of seeing each other every couple of months made up for it completely! Although we are COMPLETELY happy to be through with that phase of our relationship for now (I saw this laughing because he is in Englad right now while I sit in Colorado), we did learn SO MUCH about ourselves and our relationship when we were forced to be apart.

That year endured many hand cramps from writing so many letters. It included daily e-mails, nightly Google chats, and weekly phone calls or video chat dates. Care packages were sent monthly, and the first hug after being apart for two months was always amazing.

A lot of time and effort goes into a long distance relationship, and many people don't realize that. They think that couples who are not together often don't have to spend time thinking about each other and have all kinds of free time. However, the opposite is true... or at least it was for me. I was constantly thinking about what I could do for Dan, what we would talk about, what I could send him in the mail... and it was actually fun.

I'm going to share one of the care packages I sent that fall. It's my favorite one I've ever made, and it was (I think!) his favorite one to receive. I always put in all kinds of random goodies. I ALWAYS baked (and added a piece of break in so the goodies didn't go stale in the mail). I colored pictures for him, added little things he could heat up when he wanted to, and random, little trinkets, like toy airplanes and lovey-dovey stuffed animals.

brownies!

Autumn Trail Mix :) 

Cute pumpkins I painted and mailed...

Desserts for him to make on his own time...

Popcorn!

Gum...

Packaged neatly... :) 

Brownies on top...

Don't forget the pictures! ;) 

My favorite card... wait for the inside! 

Hahaha! :) 

I also made a few photo collages of us during that year. I had to have something to help me get through the distance, and I love pictures, so it made sense. I'm happy with how they turned out, and I can't believe I made these three years ago. 




(Parents' Weekend pictures)

As always, these Blast From the Past posts are fun to write. I can't wait to write another one! It's great to preserve these memories. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment