Sunday, July 1, 2012

Day 24 of 30

It's that time again: time for another blog challenge post. Today, I am up to day 24, and that means I'm getting close to finishing. If you'd like to read more about this challenge, CLICK HERE.

Today's Challenge: 24. Describe your family dynamic of your childhood vs. your family dynamic now. 

This is an odd prompt to me, but I will give it my best shot!


Childhood: I grew up in a family of four. My parents were together for a long time before they got married, and then they had me just a year after their wedding. Four years later, almost to the exact date, my younger brother Derek was born. That was it. I was a daddy's girl, and Derek was a mama's boy. We ate out a lot, went to many Chiefs football and Royals baseball games, and played board games in the evenings. My brother and I went to public schools, and we both played every sport imaginable. We had a cat, Otis, for many years, and got Sugar Ray and Jupiter after he died. In fifth grade, we got two puppies from the same litter who looked like twins, R.C. and Joker, and they were English Shepherd, Chow, Rottweiler mixes, and we loved to take them on walks while wearing our roller blades. Our grandparents all lived in the same area, so we saw them often and always got together for birthdays and holidays.


Now: I moved away from home for college six years ago, although I only moved about an hour away. I guess it was a good "test run" for my mom because she doesn't like me being away. After I graduated, I moved ten hours away to Colorado to be closer to my fiancé (then boyfriend), Dan. My father passed away from a heart attack when I was a senior in high school and Derek was in 8th grade. I now talk to my mom a few times a week, whether it's on the phone, through texting, or on Facebook, and we see each other when she visits me in Colorado and when I go home to Missouri twice a year. My brother and I don't talk much, but we always hang out once or twice while I'm in town. My new "family" dynamic is more with Dan, I suppose, since he lives with me on the weekends (since USAFA holds him captive during the week), and we make most of our purchases together. My cats, Gilligan and Stormy, became his adopted cats as well, and they hate it when he leaves for any given amount of time.

Again, that was an odd prompt for me, so I'm not even sure I really answered it correctly. Oh well. Have a great week, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment